CDBG Rental Assistance Program
A NEW CDBG COVID 19 Rental Program Launches June 22, 2021
Fort Bend County Continues Its Support of Residents During this Pandemic.
The CARES ACT has allocated additional funding to assist households that are unable to pay rent due to the COVID-19 pandemic. An additional allocation through the Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG) is now available to Fort Bend County. The NEW CDBG COVID 19 Rental Assistance Program will provide direct assistance to eligible households through this additional rental assistance program.
If you are a Fort Bend County resident and meet income eligibility requirements, you are encouraged to apply for this program. The CDBG COVID 19 Rental Assistance Program will provide rental assistance for only up to six (6) months, or until funds are exhausted. This is a NEW rental assistance program, therefore you must apply to be considered.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are currently enrolled or have applied to the Fort Bend County Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) program, you should not apply to this program.
An “eligible household” is defined as a renter household in which at least one or more individuals meets the following criteria:
- Qualifies for unemployment or has experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced a financial hardship due to COVID-19;
- Demonstrates a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability; AND
- Has a household income at or below 80 percent of the area median.
Rental assistance provided to an eligible household should not be duplicative of any other federally funded rental assistance provided to such household.
Household income is determined as either the household’s total income for calendar year 2020 or the household’s monthly income at the time of application. For household incomes determined using the latter method, income eligibility must be redetermined every month.
HOW TO APPLY
- First, prepare your documents to upload into the online portal (system).
- Valid, active and signed lease agreement;
- Vacate/Evict or Late Notice from landlord before the date of the application for assistance from the County
- Valid photo ID/Driver’s License for all household member’s 18 years of age or older. The identification card being presented must be a state or federal government ID that must not be expired (US passport, permanent resident card).
- Social Security Cards must be provided for all applicants and all household occupants (non-US citizens may not have a social security card).
- For EVERY household member, 18 years of age or older:
- Employed – provide proof of any income within the last 30 days.
- Full Time Students – Full Time Enrollment statement and proof will be required
- Unemployed – Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) recent statement of unemployment benefits; must not be greater than 30 days from the time in which the applicant or signed letter from employer of layoff on company letterhead;
- Complete Self Certification declaring no income (only if other verification is unavailable)
- Benefit Assistance – Any form of cash benefit assistance: SS, SSI,SSDI, TANF, Retirement, Unemployment Benefits, Child Support, Alimony, etc. must provide an award letter or proper government documentation stating the amount being received.
- Duplication of Benefits – complete and sign the duplication of benefits (DOB) form certifying that applicant did not receive any previous assistance for Rental/Utility Assistance Program for the same rental or utility assistance being requested through Fort Bend County.
- Second, follow the instructions below to start the online application.
The link will be posted here when the application launches on TUESDAY, June 22nd at 9:00am.
To apply, click the link here.
Starting TUESDAY, June 22nd at 9:00am, renters can submit an application online at the link above. If you or a family member DO NOT have access to a computer or the Internet, you may contact the program call center at 281-238-CARE (281-238-2273) . However, using the website is the most efficient and effective way to enroll in the program. The CDBG COVID-19 Rental Assistance program will be open for applicants to apply on June 22nd at 9:00am.
If an applicant is deemed ineligible the County will reevaluate the case for accuracy and provide references for assistance. This may include seeking funding from alternative resources, such as nonprofit organizations and other community partners, that may be able to offer financial assistance.
Landlords and Renters will benefit from the following:
- Direct rent payment to the landlord for eligible renters and households.
- Access to case managers to resolve issues or assist with applications.
We encourage your participation in this NEW CDBG COVID 19 Rental Assistance Program to help Fort Bend County residents remain in safe households during this COVID-19 pandemic.
We ask that you assist your renters by applying through the Landlord Portal and answer a few questions and provide a few documents. Also you must:
- Be in good standing with the County and State of Texas;
- Provide a valid and complete W9;
- Provide an accurate and current detailed rent roll or roster of tenants eligible for the program;
- Agree to accept rent payment directly from the County, and charge no penalties, late fees or any other consequential fees; and
- Agree to refrain from initiating any eviction process for the six (6) month(s) the tenant has applied for assistance or to rescind any such process that is underway.
Thank you for helping the residents of Fort Bend County get through this COVID-19 Pandemic.